“The sooner you do it the sooner you start reaping the benefits.“
Eddie Brennan – Homeowner, Deep Retrofit 2019
Eddie’s home was upgraded under the Deep Retrofit programme with 3cea in 2019. His motivation for this home energy upgrade project was to upgrade the entire home to a modern and comfortable condition, as the home needed a complete renovation. “When we purchased the house in 2017 it had been unoccupied since 2011. The only heating was an open fire and there was no insulation whatsoever.”
Before the works were planned, Eddie describes the home as a “1930s bungalow with I think a G rating. The condition was extremely poor.”
With a considerable amount of work involved in the project, Eddie explains what his expectations were prior to the energy upgrades. “We didn’t really consider a target. We just wanted to make the house as comfortable as possible.”
To gain the highest standard of energy efficiency in a home of this condition, many energy upgrades would need to be implemented. Eddie outlines the measures he chose. “We dry lined all the external walls, added roof insulation, underfloor heating, MVHR (Mechanical Ventilation Heat Recovery System), triple glazing and Solar PV.”
Following the installation of these energy upgrades, Eddie highlights the significant changes he noticed in his home. “The comfort levels in the house are excellent and our BER went up to an A2. The only energy bill we have is our ESB bill. It is early days yet, but it is very low so far.” Eddie now describes home after the upgrades as “warm, bright and comfortable.”
Delighted with the upgrades in Eddie’s home, he fondly recalls the reactions of friends and family who have been able to visit his new and improved home. “Everyone that has seen our house says it is unrecognisable from the old, dark and cold house that we had.”
For homeowners considering a home energy upgrade project of their own, Eddie has these words of encouragement. “Go for it. The sooner you do it the sooner you start reaping the benefits.”
Contact our experts today to get started on your project
Before filling in the form, please follow this brief checklist:
- Make sure your home is within our region
- 3 or more energy upgrades are recommended
- Stone walls and protected structures are unlikely to satisfy grant criteria
- Read our 3 Stage delivery process and associated fees
How can 3cea help?
3 Counties Energy Agency already has 7 years’ experience in coordinating energy retrofit projects for homeowners. That ensures a quality retrofit focus for clients. We have helped complete retrofits on more than 2,500 houses as well as 500 deep retrofits since 2012.
We can project manage the entire process for clients – from your initial application right through to completion and sign-off.
Our One Stop Shop – 3 Stage Process is as follows:
- Stage 1: 3cea will visit your home, complete a home assessment and provide a bespoke energy report. This report will outline the most economic and best quality solution to get to a B2 rating. This will include:
o Measures required to meet B2 rating
o Estimated Costs of proposed measures
o Estimated Grant of proposed measures
- Stage 2: 3cea will publish the BER report (a requirement for the grant application) while procuring the best qualified contractor to price the works. The contractor will finalise the costs of each measure and will give us a programme for when the works can be completed. We will apply for the grant on your behalf as part of the National Home Retrofit Scheme. Final figures, including your grant, will be provided to help make your final decision to proceed.
- Stage 3: the contractor will arrive on site to complete the measures. 3cea will manage the contracts, timelines, materials, health and safety documents, and the contractors on site. 3cea will be providing any assistance necessary and we will be available to answer all questions that you may have throughout the project. 3cea will ensure the quality and standards meet SEAI and building regulations. The final BER report will then be published and provided to you after the completion of the project.
Once on the One Stop Shop Journey, 3cea will ensure you get peace of mind and ultimately gain a comfortable and energy efficient home.
There will be a fixed fee for Stage 1 & 2, while there will be a % fee for Stage 3.
Stage 1 – €595 (ExVAT)
Stage 2 – €1,400 (ExVAT)
Stage 3 – 7.5% of total cost of works (range €1,500 – €4,500 depending on costs of works)
Homeowners can end the journey at any stage and will only be liable for fees for the stage they leave on.